Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Here Comes the Sun, Waffles, and Other Bits of Randomness

Today was pretty uneventful except for the fact that it was pretty much sunny the whole day. I've only been here five days and I already realize why some people are not huge fans on Brussels. The weather does leave something to be desired. It is cloudy quite regularly and it usually rains or at least mists/ sprinkles at least once a day. Today, however, it was sunny for the majority of the day. It clouded over a few times and only rained a little bit this morning. Overall, it wasn't too bad. The cloudy/ rainyness isn't that bad because the temperature here is perfect. It has been mainly in the upper 60s, lower 70s in the day and it gets down in the 50s at night.

Anyways, today some of us decided to try walking to school which was great. It's a long walk (about 50 minutes), but you go through one of the many parks in Brussels. It was beautiful and the houses along it were beautiful. Brussels is apparently one of the greenest cities in the world as far as the number of parks.

After class, we all went to get bus passes for the month of June so now we can use the transportation system as much as we want. On the walk home, we stopped by a waffle stand and I experienced my first real Belgian waffle. It was delicious! I think they coat the waffles with a sugary glaze of some sort, which is wonderful. I assume, because the only places you can get waffles are stands and little shops on the street, that waffles are more of a snack food for on the go here. Syrup is not used and, really, was not necessary. They also had the option of having the waffle dipped in chocolate sauce, which I guess I will have to try at some point as well.

On the whole, the food here is really good. I'm looking forward to trying mussels et frites (mussels and french fries), which is apparently another must get in Brussels. I also want to try the Belgian chocolate which is supposed to be some of the best in the world. I will keep you updated on that.

Love to all,
Courtney

2 comments:

emilyvux said...

Yummy, belgian waffles! Do they offer cream to go on them?

courtc said...

At the place I went to they didn't. You could either get it with melted chocolate or plain, but I think at other places you can get things like powdered sugar, various fruits, and sometimes even ice cream on it.